Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bippity, boppity, boo and a little crying too!

As you know we, me and the girls, are in Florida for a visit with my in-laws, nope Trent isn't with us. I am super lucky that my in-laws will take me without their son and I am ok with coming without him. My mother and father in law are such wonderful people and we have had such a great time. We got in super late on Friday night, I think we pulled into their house at 2:00 am, and we'll be here until Thursday evening. The temp has been a bit chilly for Florida but AWESOME compared to what we left. Saturday was in the 60's and we weren't afraid to pull out our capri's and sweatshirts. Floridians had on coats but hey we're in Florida I'm not taking off my flip flops off until we head back to the cold. We spent the day just moseying... we slept in, rode bikes, hit a flea market and made a run to Target for a few of the things we left home. We had dinner at Crispers, which is kind of like Panera, with really good flatbread pizzas. Sunday I awoke to Lanie telling me it was time to go to church and I was going to miss it. The night before I confirmed that church was at 10:00. I can see the church out the side window of the house, so we need to leave at oh, 9:59 to get there on time. I of course jump out of bed and it's like 8:15, I am thinking to myself thanks for starting my day with a mini heart attack Lanes...We went to lunch at Sweet Tomato's which is a soup, salad, pasta, bakery buffet - it was very good and I left there feeling like I never wanted to eat again I was so full, but isn't that what you do on vacation? We then went to see the Manatees at Apollo Beach, outside of Tampa Bay. The power plant there discharges warm water and the Manatees move in when the water gets cold. The girls thought this was really cool and the girls got their science lesson for the day! Monday the temp was prob about 67 and we spent the entire day at the Magic Kingdom, which was just a fabulous day. We got a little later start than we should have but thought it would give the girls a little more staying power for the 8:00 fireworks display. We saw the Wishes Come True show at Cinderella's castle with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, the Princesses, characters from Peter Pan and the mean witch from Sleeping Beauty. Lanie's face was priceless as she marveled at all the characters on stage, until the witch arrived and scared her. Her face went from magical to downright ready to go, "me no want to see mean witch" were her exact words. Ally being the good big sister that she is said "it's OK Lanie, she'll be gone in a minute". After the mean witch was gone smiles returned and we made our way to Toon Town at the back of the park. We saw lots of characters along the way but as we tried to get in line, they were already closed as the character had another adventure to get to. That was a bit disappointing on this visit we only got Bert's autograph from Mary Poppins, we already had Mary's...
We then saw and walked right by the Tea Cups as me, Grammy and Boppa all knew we would get sick twirling round and round, I almost puked the last time I went on that ride, yuck. We kind of wandered for a bit at this point because everything had a 45 minute wait and we had an appointment at the Bippity Boppity Boutique in 45 minutes. The girls had an appointment with their fairy Godmother in training to get there hair and nails done. Since they were running about 30 minutes behind they give you a pager and you can go back out into the park as long as you stay within a certain distance. We were able to ride Dumbo while we waited and then we headed over to our special appointment. This was a Disney Dream for Ally and Lanie well, not so much. Ally picked the princess hairstyle that came complete with tiara and diamond Mickey clip. Not sure what Lanie was thinking when she picked the Pop Princess funny colored hair sticking all over the place do. They don't let the girls see their hair as they are doing it I guess for a big exciting reveal, Ally was turned around and her face was priceless, she was so excited. Lanie was turned around and her face was also priceless as she started to cry and tried to tear out her hair!!! Ok, so as you can imagine all things Disney are not cheap and I am tearing up because I am so disappointed that she is disappointed and of course I am thinking, am I really going to have to pay for something we are going to be pulling out immediately?? They can't modify the hairstyle at all so the lady was ticking me off, because I thought if we just pulled out the colorful crazy ratted thing on top of her hair she'll be fine and we'll just move on. She tells me no but I can do whatever I want to it after we leave the salon, at this point the tears are about to start streaming down my face. I am not even sure who said "do you want to look like a princess like your sister", Lanie nods yes pouty lip and all and they redo her hair. I guess this is what I wanted to happen but didn't really expect it. Once again Disney deserves a shout out for its excellent customer service. So after that ordeal the girls looked adorable, Lanie was much happier and we went to have some lunch. We ended up at the Starlight Cafe and that was really disappointing. Everything is usually fantastic at Disney but my food and Ally's was not very good, I maybe would have complained had I not been drained from our Boutique experience. There was also some creepy Alf like character singing and trying to make jokes, couldn't they have put someone like I don't know, Mickey up there? Note to all reading, don't go there, I just don't recommend it. We continued our day on different rides and adventures, we only waited for like maybe 10 minutes for it's a small world and we waited about 50 minutes for the Peter Pan ride. You may have just noticed I didn't capitalize it's a small world, either does Disney, it kind of puzzled me...
We skipped the Spector Magic parade to ride a couple additional rides and were able to see the fireworks over Cinderella's Castle. All in all it was a fabulous day, the girls did well with the exception of the hair meltdown, and the only thing I could have asked for was just a bit more time, we didn't even see 1/2 the park. Oh well, I guess that gives us something to look forward to. Today was like 75 and sunny and we spent the day riding bikes, relaxing, laying in the sun and the girls had a chance to swim. Sorry for all of you that are braving the pouring rain and dropping temps, I guess you will be waking to something really exciting. More about our trip later...

No comments: