Friday, September 28, 2007

A tough job....

Today I worked in Ally's class. Mr Archer had me do a project so I just got to sit on the sidelines and watch the kids interact. I found myself laughing, smiling and feeling a bit anxious as I watched these 1st graders.

Some of my observations:
The gambling table...One of the groups of 4 boys were playing a game with math cards. They were betting on who would win. When they caught me watching they so proudly told me whoever won the game got Skyler's quarter for popcorn. As I said really, Mr Archer got wind of what was going on and shut down the operation. Skyler put his quarter back in his pocket and they continued playing.

The looks of wonder...You are Ally's mom??? Most of the kids couldn't quite put us together they just looked at me inquisitively and said ok...

The bickering...Maybe it was because it was Friday but there was one group of 4 girls that couldn't quite go for more than a minute or so without picking at each other "She's making faces at me" "She's talking too loud" She's not doing what she's supposed to Mr. Archer" "Can you tell her to stop it" "I don't want to play with you I'm playing with her" - On more than one occasion Mr. Archer would have to interrupt the group of kids he was working with to squash the issue. A threat to stay inside at recess and talk about getting along seemed to slow the girls down.

Anyway all you teachers out there you do have a tough job and I for one appreciate your efforts, keep up the good work...

No comments: