Sunday, March 16, 2008

Healthy=Expensive

I went to the grocery store today with the most organized list, menu plan and stack of coupons ever! I came out with one of the largest grocery bills I have ever had, and the only non food items I bought were razors AND I stuck to the list. Normally razors would have been a bigger contributor but today they were on sale and I had coupons so my new razor and 4 refill pack only ended up costing 8.00, 1.99 cheaper than refills on my current razors 3 pack. I joined Weight Watchers last week, I need to drop some pounds and unfortunately the only time I am successful is when I have to pay someone once a week to weigh me. So I got a paper today, mapped out the sale items, pulled my coupons, got out my Deceptively Delicious and Weight Watchers cookbooks and planned out our week. It is so much easier and cheaper to eat crap, we all know about the dollar menu? For $1.00 you can get a double cheeseburger, if you want a salad with chicken it is going to cost you like $5.00. The same scenario fits at good ol' Meijer. I had a huge list of fruits and vegetables including carrots, celery, potatoes, cauliflower, butternut squash, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, beets, avocado, sweet potato, onions, lemons, limes, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, and watermelon. Most of these items will be taking a trip to my blender for various recipes, but these items alone really boosted up the bill. So our plan this week is to not eat out even once, not for dinner, lunch or breakfast. I think we will find that we will spend about the same amount on food, I'm just not used to spending it all at once. However, I am looking at our tomorrow and Ally has ballet til 6:00 and her spring musical at 7:00, not sure when I am going to fit in one of the healthy meals I have all planned out. Do you think she could eat cranberry pork chops or chicken taco bake on the road? I am going to try to get creative and avoid a drive thru, we'll see how it goes. My victories continue, tonight my kids ate chocolate pudding and guess what the main ingredient was? Avocado...I love my new cookbook!

No comments: