Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dear Target...

I would like to express my deepest disappointment with Target's lack of customer care. In looking at your "values" section online it mentions your commitment to the community, environment and diversity but I did not see any section that outlines your commitment to your customers.
I have worked in retail before and completely understand the need to put a return policy in place. I also understand that unfortunately there will be individuals that will try to undermine your system however, there are times when policies should and can be modified. I am writing to specifically complain about the Target store on West Ave. in Jackson MI.
I have a friend that recently had triplets. As you can imagine there were and still are many items that are given to them as gifts and Target was one of the stores they chose to register with. When you offer the public a chance to register with your company you should also know that there will be times when an exchange or return needs to be made and maybe a gift receipt was not attached. When my friend and husband tried to exchange packages of Target brand diapers they were told that was not possible as they have each returned too many items without receipts within Target's specified time period (which they were told was unknown how long the time period would be).
I am shocked that common sense would not allow them to just trade the diapers from size newborn to size one. So in your own words: "Responsible. Accountable. Committed to continuous improvement." (found on your "values" page) I challenge you to come up with a more customer focused return policy and make it easier to shop at target. I would also like someone to address my specific complaint. Based on your above mentioned statements here is what I would like to know:
1. As a consumer I believe that denying the right to exchange an item that was obviously purchased at your store is irresponsible, especially when a couple registered with you and persuaded people to shop in your store.
2. I would like to know in what way you will be held accountable.
3. I would also like to know in what way you think you can improve.

Thank You, Maria Wilson

2 comments:

Kyle Luke said...

Ugh. Did you know that almost any other store will take unopened packages of diapers and exchange them for a different size NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

That drive me nuts.

If only they weren't Target brand, they could just take them to Babies R Us.

Nicole said...

Oh Target's return policy sucks. I tried returning the Fisher Price aquarium thing there and they said they couldn't return anything over $20 without the receipt. What the heck!?!?!