Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tea Vs. Sweet Tea

So I love McDonalds tea, it is one of my very favorite drinks. I don't do tea that isn't fresh brewed and since I am from the south I am familiar with tea and sweet tea. In TX there are two things you should know about drinks. 1. Everything is Coke. At a restaurant if you say I'll have a coke don't be surprised when they say what kind? This is where you respond Dr. Pepper, Diet Coke, Orange or whatever soft drink you were wanting. 2. If you order tea they will ask regular or sweet, most establishments from Whataburger (one of my first destinations when I get to TX) to fancy restaurants will have 2 pitchers one for regular tea and one for sweet tea. Sure you could put the sugar in yourself but it is so popular they do it for you. I personally don't care for sweet tea, it is just, well too sweet. Now if you are here in Michigan you have noticed that Mickey D's has rolled out there new sweet tea campaign. So here is my beef (no pun intended) with the campaign. You can order a large sweet tea for 1.00 or get a plain ol large tea for 1.69? WHY in the world would you need to charge .69 more for tea that doesn't have the added sugar or whatever they use to make it sweet? In a world that makes sense wouldn't you think you could argue that the sweet tea would be more expensive due to the added expense necessary in the sweetener? I don't know maybe I am just disappointed with service issues all around, what do you think?

2 comments:

Kyle Luke said...

Did you know, that a medium soft drink costs a fast food restaurant $.13. That includes, the beverage, cup, lid, straw and what they had to pay the employee to fill the cup and hand it to you. Soft drinks are a restaurant's biggest money maker.

That information is thanks to my cousin, Heather, who does something important (don't ask me what) for the Arby's corporation.

Rachael Rae Diaries said...

Hi Maria! I stumbled across your blog tonight, I also from Michigan and I got sucked into falls too! LOL. I was reading about your tea deal. I love Mc's tea but I like half sweet and half regular and no ice. I figured it out, you are only getting maybe 1/2 of the cup size so really you are just getting a small. Which is .99 cents. so they are totally making out with tons of money. -Rachael